Friday 25 May 2012

GRANNY’S WORDS


GRANNY’S WORDS
My grandma said there are three types of people in this world and that I can choose which of the categories I want to belong to: the coffee bean, the carrots, and the eggs. Trust my granny, she doesn’t tell you anything without backing it up with practical examples.

She brought the three items - coffee bean, carrot, and egg - put each in a pot of cold water, and placed the pot on three different gas burners, and allowed them to reach boiling point. She then place each item in a plate and asked me what I observed.
 I told her that I can see that the coffee bean has changed the water from colourless to brown; that the carrot which was hard has become quite soft, and the egg, which appeared as fragile, has become rock hard.
Then grandma began her lesson in her usual firm voice, ‘Damilare, my son, see these three item faced the same adversity or challenge, the carrot went into the water strong and determined, but after being subjected to boiling, it became soft and without confidence. The egg, with the fragile outer layer, protecting the inner liquid, also went into the water, and after boiling, became quite hard and solid. But the coffee bean went into the water and after boiling totally changed the colour of the water. That is the unique attribute of this item.
Then she asked, ‘what has this taught you?’ of course, she provided the answer she said, ‘my son, in life you will face many challenges and disappointments, but what determines whether the challenges will make or mar you is the way you react to it. Now look at the carrot. It appeared strong, but with adversity it became soft, wilted, and the past. Then see the egg, with soft hearted and malleable personality, but faced with some challenges of life, becomes hardened, stiff, unforgiving, and full of bitterness and distrust. But look at the coffee bean;
Instead of allowing the circumstances of life to change it rather change the situation so that the situation does not overwhelm it.
Now, my son, you must strive to possess the unique attribute of the coffee bean, whatever you go through. Yes, feel the pain, but do not be subsumed by the sunny side and think, this is a lesson learnt, no matter how many times u fall, I will RISE AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment